timeline
of the
HH INN

michelin one star 2019

1852

1875

1879

1916

1932

1973

2005

2009

2013

2018

2019

The Greenwood brothers first settled in the area, and soon after, the town was named after them.

The population grew and the settlers wanted to register their town name. After discovering there was another settlement named Greenwood, the brothers changed the name to Elk, as we now know it.

The Greenwood brothers sold the land, and Fred Helmke build the first lumber mill one mile North of Greenwood Creek.

The United States Government sold James Kenney the land that the Harbor House Inn was eventually built on.

The Greenwood Lumber Mill economy reached its peak, lumbering 40,000 – 50,000ft of lumber a day.

L.E. White bought the Greenwood Lumber Mill from Fred Helmke and built a town for the families involved in the lumber industry. This, included a large sawmill and a railroad.

James Kenney sold the Harbor House land to Nellie Carter.

Goodyear Redwood Company bought L.E. White Lumber Mill and the Harbor House land from Nellie Carter. Goodyear company, then hired Louis Christian Mullgardt to build a redwood home to showcase the beauty of the wood.

After going through many ups and downs with various owners, the Goodyear Lumber Mill was torn down.

Elk Redwood Company bought Harbor House Inn from Goodyear Company.

Harbor House Inn change of ownership: Merrit M. Grant, Patricia J. Corcoran, Dean H. Turner and Hellen M Turner Samuel E. and Elle W. Haynes.

Current owners, Edmund Jin and Eva Lu, purchased The Harbor House Inn.

Commerce and Lifestyle brand Harbor House was established.

The Harbor House Inn shut down for renovation in November.

Harbor House Inn is newly renovated and reopened in May.

Harbor House awarded 1 star Michelin Guide California 2019.

1852
1860
1875
1879
1882
1887
1912
1916
1966
2005
2013
2019
1932
1973, 1975, 1985, 1998, 2004, 2005
2009
2018
  • Grey Yelp Icon
  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey Instagram Icon

5600 South Highway 1,

Elk, CA 95432

(707) 877-3203

© 2020 Harbor House Inn